[OpenWrt-Devel] OpenWRT www version banner a security risk

Etienne Champetier champetier.etienne at gmail.com
Sun Sep 13 17:00:39 EDT 2015

Hi Daniel,

Le 13 sept. 2015 22:04, "Daniel Dickinson" <openwrt at daniel.thecshore.com> a
écrit :

> I do think allowing to choose to disable the banner is a minor benefit,
however, as I've said, there are much more effective means of preventing
accidential exposure, and quite frankly if the user is *choosing* to open
the web interface I think an warning and disabling the banner if the user
foolishly insists on opening the interface despite the warning is more
useful thank disabling the banner by default.

> If you're going to argue it prevents against internal threats than I
would argue that if your internal network is hostile enough that you need
to worry about attacks on openwrt from your internal network AND you're not
skilled enough to limit access to LuCI (or better, build an image without
LuCI and just use SSH) to the specific trusted hosts (preferably by
combination of MAC address and IP address) in the firewall, or (better) to
use a 'management' VPN or VLAN that only trusted hosts can get on, then
you're in a lot more trouble than eliminating the banner for LuCI will
solve.

> Regards,
>
> Daniel
>
> On 2015-09-13 10:21 AM, MauritsVB wrote:
>>
>> At the moment the OpenWRT www login screen provides *very* detailed
version information before anyone has even entered a password. It displays
not just “15.05” or “Chaos Calmer” but even the exact git version on the
banner.

>> While it’s not advised to open this login screen to the world, fact is
that it does happen intentionally or accidentally. Just a Google search for