[OpenWrt-Devel] OpenWRT www version banner a security risk

Daniel Dickinson openwrt at daniel.thecshore.com
Sun Sep 13 11:10:48 EDT 2015

Hi Etienne,

This isn't about whether default is safe, but what is a useful to help
limit the damage if the user shoots themselves in the foot with
relatively easy mistakes for a newbie to make.

Breaking the firewall isn't hard, especially for a newbie, so the Ubuntu
philosphy of 'if there is no service running, it doesn't matter if there
is no firewall' applies.

It's not 100% true obviously, but the principle that of not having
unnecessary services listening, and were services are necessary only
listening on addresses where they should be responding, is still a sound
security policy.

If there's no one answering the phone, it does't matter how loud you
shout at the handset (except of course that you might cause a local
disturbance and get in trouble).

Regards,

Daniel