[OpenWrt-Devel] SVN to GIT transition

David Lang david at lang.hm
Mon Oct 12 16:39:03 EDT 2015

On Mon, 12 Oct 2015, Felix Fietkau wrote:

>>> It may not always be accurate, but the SVN version is actually useful in
>>> most cases, even when modifications are present.

>>> What I don't understand is how the script should check if something is
>>> the official tree, e.g. in the simple case of somebody having forked the
>>> OpenWrt mirror on github, cloned it locally, added and pushed a few
>>> commits and then made a build.
>>
>> git config --get user.name
>> git config --get user.email
>>
>> if they are set to the name of the official buildbot, no nothing. If they are
>> set to anything else, take some data (initials or something) and make that part
>> of the version number.
>>
>> It's not checking if it's an unmodified tree, just if it's being built on the
>> OpenWRT infrastructure.
>>
>> If someone is building an unmodified tree, the git hash will work for
>> identifying what tree it is. And someone else posted a process for trackign
>> divergence from the upstream tree if they are modifying it first.
> I still have doubts about that process. And why should the version info
> be treated differently if things are built on the official infrastructure?

just in the interests of keeping it short.

With git all repos are technically equal. It's project convention as to which
one is the upstream master. If you have such a convention, why not use it to
make the tags that everyone has to deal with shorter then when you are dealing
with someone building a branch that needs more description anyway?

shrug, it's a nice-to-do, not a requirement.

David Lang