[OpenWrt-Devel] SVN to GIT transition

Javier Domingo Cansino javierdo1 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 12 10:47:36 EDT 2015

> Many people follow current trunk, and we need to have precise version
> information for that when they report a bug. We don't want to regularly
> tag stuff just to keep reported version information up to date.

This is already done using --dirty. I generates all the information you
need.

You can generate whatever information you wish. For example, if total
trazability of the user is what you want:
base=$(git merge-base github/master HEAD)
echo $(git describe --tags $base)-$(git log --oneline $base..HEAD | wc
-l)-$(git log --oneline | head -n1 | cut -c-8)

That would give you v1.0-rc1-5-gd66a89f-4-9f0e84a -> base tag, commit count
from the base to the forking commit, hash of that commit, number of commits
since fork, hash of the commit.

You could even add a -dirty if you wish to to tell you if that 4th commit
after the fork has been compiled cleanly or not.