[OpenWrt-Devel] SVN to GIT transition

Roman Yeryomin leroi.lists at gmail.com
Mon Oct 12 10:11:24 EDT 2015

On 12 October 2015 at 16:34, Felix Fietkau <nbd at openwrt.org> wrote:
> On 2015-10-12 15:09, Javier Domingo Cansino wrote:
>>     Right now, the revision number (r<something>) is really useful to figure
>>     out what particular openwrt version is being used, when people report
>>     bugs. The commit hash cannot be used as a replacement, since it might be
>>     one that isn't present in the official repo.
>>     When using tags as a starting point (via git describe), somebody has to
>>     create those tags, which is cumbersome (and would mean adding lots of
>>     useless ones).
>>
>> The tags would be the major versions and RCs. I don't believe other tags
>> should be used.
>>
>> Apart from that, I understand that if someone cloned the SVN repo (full
>> svn history), created it's own server, and developed on top of a given
>> revision X, the same problem would arise.
> I haven't seen a single instance of somebody doing this, and in my
> opinion it would be kind of stupid anyway :)
> We don't even advertise the SVN server URL to users anymore for a reason.

IMO git describe --dirty would work perfectly. You would see a short
hash and if user modified it or not.
For users it would work even better than svn revision.
For devs or users who do commit locally both svn and git "revisions"
can be "spoofed" anyway so it just useless.
oh.. sorry, I forgot that you cannot commit locally with svn...

Regards,
Roman