[OpenWrt-Devel] SVN to GIT transition

Nemesis nemesis at ninux.org
Mon Oct 12 04:49:02 EDT 2015

On 10/12/2015 09:44 AM, John Crispin wrote:
> On 12/10/2015 09:07, Steven Barth wrote:
>> > And don't get me started about having a completely different Issuetracker with
>> > different credentials etc.
> indeed there i this thing called trac which i wonder if people actually
> use/look at.
>
> so we really have 3 issues at hand
>
> 1) switch the core tree to using git
> 2) make sure that release branches have a history
> 3) pull from github trees
>
> 1) & 2) are just technical / organizational issues i guess
>
> as for 3), if we move to gihub we have yet another entry point that we
> need to look after. ok, we could close trac but that would just move the
> "noise" from one place to another. obsoleting the rest of the existing
> infra is also a bit quirky i guess as people are using it actively.

The Django Framework moved from SVN to github in 2012but they kept their
own bug tracker (which they redesigned with some funding to make it more
usable): https://code.djangoproject.com/

I think they're a good example of an open source community which went
through the process of improving the way people can join the community
and contribute, they also raise funds to pay for hard tasks like
redesigning the website, organizing sprints, periodically hire a
"fellow" which reviews (accepts/closes and occasionally fixes) tickets
and so on.
Since they started doing this django has improved massively.

I understand the desire to self host, so I suggest to take a look at
gitlab community edition.

Federico