[OpenWrt-Devel] SVN to GIT transition

Roman Yeryomin leroi.lists at gmail.com
Mon Oct 12 04:43:22 EDT 2015

On 12 October 2015 at 10:36, Felix Fietkau <nbd at openwrt.org> wrote:
> On 2015-10-12 08:38, Steven Barth wrote:
>> Let's face it though: the current workflow wrt. core patches is crappy.
>>
>> 1. Go to patchwork, see if there is a patch
>> 2. If you want to comment, switch to mail client, find thread, write reply.
>> 3. If you want to commit: download patch, go to command line, see if it applies
>> 4. Then manually go back to patchwork and adjust the status of the patch.
>> 5. Upon merging go back to mail and write a mail ala "Patch Accepted".
> Step 5 is unnecessary, patchwork sends emails on status changes.

I think that workflow changes could introduce some pain but those can
be left aside (t.i. kept as is for now) until people get used to git
more and, maybe, develop some new/optimized workflow.
One benefit what git would give, independently from which (main)
workflow is used, is branching, which, IMO, is quite cumbersome right
now.

Regards,
Roman