[OpenWrt-Devel] Fast build testing [Was: Git mirror with branches, tags and full history]

Petr Štetiar ynezz at true.cz
Mon Nov 30 06:50:45 EST 2015

Bastian Bittorf <bittorf at bluebottle.com> [2015-11-30 12:01:47]:

> build testing OpenWrt can be *really* fast, if you
>
> a) build in a ram-disk
> b) use dedicated hardware for each architecture
>
> i bet it's about 300 seconds for a full fresh
> distributed build for *all* architectures.

That sounds really great, can you please share more details? It's just your
guess or you've achieved such build times already?

I was thinking about doing QA builds on Google Cloud Platform, where you're
billed on minute basis, minimum is 10 minutes. So n1-highcpu-32 machine with
32 CPUs and 28GiB of RAM would cost you about $0.2 for that 10 minutes. It
would of course mean to have the sources downloaded/rsynced in the same
datacenter already so it would be fast.

Thanks!

-- ynezz