[OpenWrt-Devel] DHCPv6 flash renumbering patches with HE tunnel breaks

Steven Barth cyrus at openwrt.org
Thu Mar 26 15:11:41 EDT 2015

> This breaks clients that need fixed IPs (in my case, mostly webmail
> clients).
I wonder why they are so sensitive to source-address changes since their
old address is still valid and not deprecated so there is no need to switch.

I would gladly send the DHCPv6 address with 0 preferred lifetime but
Apple's DHCPv6 client has issues and discard addresses therefore the 1.

> I could create a patch for this, but for now I consider this a
> regression, rather than a feature that needs to be configurable. I
> fail to understand the reasons why this change, which deliberately
> breaks the outgoing addresses (even if only momentarily) was introduced.
The reason for this change is that no host seems to support DHCPv6
reconfiguration so we cannot update clients whenever we see fit (e.g.
ISP goes down / is switched / designates a different PD). Which means
that in absence of that in worst case client connectivity is lost for T1
seconds.

Cheers,

Steven