[OpenWrt-Devel] Rebuilding for specific hardware, example ar71xx/image for TP-Link TL-WR841ND

Jean-Michel Pouré - GOOZE jmpoure at gooze.eu
Thu Mar 26 07:00:18 EDT 2015

Le mercredi 25 mars 2015 à 11:43 -0400, John Szakmeister a écrit :
> Why not just use:
>
>     ./scripts/config/conf --savedefconfig=config.seed Config.in

When building systems for release, one has to be very careful for
security.

IMHO, I would not leave a toolchain and configuration on a build server
and change it from time to time. If this is the way OpenWRT is built,
there is a higher risk for an attacker to modify the build environment
and/or binaries.

I prefer:
build script => debian chroot => config => toolchain => compilation

I will enquire more about conf --savedefconfig=config.seed Config.in
to see if it suits my needs. From a first approach, I prefer to use a
small script which turns on/off features and builds a .config from
scratch. The only thing is that I need to keep the build script. But
this has to be studies in more details as I am new in the community and
have to learn.

Thanks for pointing it out. There is a lot to learn about OpenWRT, which
seems a very rich environment.

Kind regards,
Gnutella