[OpenWrt-Devel] Multiple OpenWrt devices collectively managed?

David Lang david at lang.hm
Mon Mar 23 15:45:29 EDT 2015

On Mon, 23 Mar 2015, Bastian Bittorf wrote:

> * David Lang <david at lang.hm> [23.03.2015 20:19]:
>> question is around having something to automatically assign channels
>> amoung the different APs to minimize interference between the APs and
>> between the APs and other things in the area.
>
> we just use hostapd & athXk & acs-survey/channel=auto...why dont you?

For one thing I hadn't heard of it before now :-)

I would need to test and see what it recommends in real-world conditions. It
seems designed for setting up a single AP (although it really shouldn't try
every 2.4GHz channel), but when trying to pick channels for a bunch of APs in an
area, I see nothing in the documentation that would prevent every AP from
picking the same channel because it was marginally better when everything is
quiet.

Then when you start to see heavy usage, the situaion will have changed
drastically and you would have to take time away from servicing clients to scan
other channels (during which time you are not transmitting normally, so any
other APs doing a survey during the same time would get a faulty view of what
the conditions are), and would the system converge to a stable setup, or would
it always be shifting traffic.

David Lang