[OpenWrt-Devel] Rebuilding for specific hardware, example ar71xx/image for TP-Link TL-WR841ND

Yousong Zhou yszhou4tech at gmail.com
Mon Mar 23 08:55:42 EDT 2015

On 23 March 2015 at 20:07, Jean-Michel Pouré - GOOZE <jmpoure at gooze.eu> wrote:
>> I read buildroot WIKI page:
>> http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/build
>
> I am getting confused about the build system.
>
> I am comparing .config generated by buildroot (today's GIT) with
> https://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/trunk/ar71xx/generic/config
> and this is not the same file.

That config file in downloads.openwrt.org is the one used to generate
contents there (all packages selected and compiled for people to
download and run on their hardwares).  While in local builds you
normally only select and compile what you need.

> Obviously, I need a default .config file before using buildroot.
> Where is it stored and published?

It is generated on the fly when you make menuconfig, defconfig, etc.
The default one is the one after you select your hardware platform
(ar71xx in this case) and no more tweaks.  The process behind the
scene is mystic... but usually works.

> What is the recommended way to rebuild a custom image.
> I used the following script:
>
> git clone git://git.openwrt.org/openwrt.git openwrt-ar71xx
> cd openwrt-ar71xx
> git pull
> ./scripts/feeds update -a
> ./scripts/feeds install lucie
> #wget
> https://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/trunk/ar71xx/generic/config
> -O .config
> make menuconfig
>
> Shall I fetch .config file with wget?

No.  Just clone the code and install necessary packages from feeds.
Select what you want to include into your custom firmware with make
menuconfig. Then kickstart the building.

Regards.

                yousong