[OpenWrt-Devel] Ethernet problem with R8000

Ian Kent raven at themaw.net
Wed Mar 11 23:03:04 EDT 2015

On Sat, 2015-02-28 at 23:07 +0800, Ian Kent wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to make progress on getting the Netgear R8000 to work.
> Basically it's a BCM4799 but with a BCM53012 switch rather than the
> usual BCM53011 (among other differences).
>
> I have a number of problems but the one that is the most concerning is
> that Ethernet doesn't work.
>
> Now, this is all quite new to me so I'm struggling and would appreciate
> some help.
>
> AFAICS the switch is matched in the various drivers so it appears to be
> supported to the extent that it's believed to function. The nvram
> claims sprom rev 11, I've added that (although I'm not sure it's done
> the way it should be) and it looks like the only things the bgmac
> driver needs from it are a couple of mac addresses and a phy address
> which it gets.
>
> But I have no Ethernet at all!
>
> The only things I can say for sure are, packets sent are seen by the
> bgmac driver and the driver gets a transmit completion interrupt which
> it processes. However, no packets is seen coming from the router switch
> port. Similarly no interrupts are seen by the driver for incoming
> packets at all.
>
> I have, to the extent that I can and not yet completely, worked through
> the GPL Broadcom source for the R8000 comparing the switch source to
> the bgmac driver (together with the spec at the sip solutions site) and
> I can't yet identify any significant differences.
>
> Also, again to the extent I can, I see what looks like should be in the
> registers for the first DMA channel and that changes as it should as
> packets are sent, channels 2-4, aren't really used yet by the look of
> it so I'm not sure inconsistencies in them matter, in any case it's the
> ring descriptor offset that appears incorrect.
>
> Can anyone offer any suggestions on how to work out what this problem
> is?

Hi Rafał,

As I say above I've tried quite hard to check for changes in the GPLed
source that might be causing this and, apart from one small change that
appears to be related to scatter gather support, I can't find anything
not already present in the bgmac driver.

One thing I'm wondering is perhaps, if flow accelerator hardware is
present (and I haven't yet checked if that's the case on the R8000),
maybe it must be handled for the Ethernet to function.

Thoughts?
Ian