[OpenWrt-Devel] Why OpenWrt sucks?

Gergely Kiss mail.gery at gmail.com
Tue Mar 10 16:26:38 EDT 2015

Hi Valent,

first of all, I strongly disagree with people claiming that OpenWrt sucks
because it doesn't. For me it rather looks like a well-maintained, rapidly
improving project with a great number of actively supported hardware and
quite a few people contributing to the project regularly. I can see dozens
of patches published every day not only by the core devs but by many
contributors which is a great thing and indicates that many people are
trying to make OpenWrt *even *better.

I must mention you had a point that made me smile - it's about being a
miracle that openwrt works as good as it does. This reminded me to the DNS
system. As we all know, it was never developed with a concept of creating a
complex network service to be used in a worldwide network but more like as
a simple "phonebook" for companies, schools and other small, autonomous
institutions to avoid the need to remember IP addresses. Now, DNS is used
worldwide by thousands of entities and is probably one of the oldest
protocols still actively used on the internet and it still works pretty
good despite its age. Miracles do happen sometimes and that's what makes
our lives brighter. :)

Anyway, as far as I can see, more and more manufacturers (including
wireless chip vendors) realize the benefits of open source and release
their driver codes to the open source community. I clearly remember seeing
some driver sources posted on this list directly by Marvell and I'm pretty
sure that many other vendors will start doing so in the future. I think the
reason why most vendors still haven't published their drivers is more like
legal issues rather than technical or "political" ones. They have to meet
regulatory requirements and respect the copyright of other people's work.
Even if they would feel inclined to release their driver, they can't do so
because of licensing issues.

For people complaining about OpenWrt, I would simply tell them that first
of all, it's provided for free for everyone in the world so stop
complaining. Also, being an open source project, it's always open for
contributions. Everyone has the possibility to share ideas or implement
features making OpenWrt a more stable, more robust and more versatile piece
of software.

My fifty cents was to create a port of Seafile for OpenWrt - I'm using it
myself at home and I'm very happy to see it running on my router with a USB
HDD attached rather than running an additional home server 24/7 consuming
more power and taking up more room in my flat. At the same time, I'm happy
to provide the same ability to other people because that's how it's meant
to be.

Do you think OpenWrt sucks? Then stop complaining and do something to make
it better. It's that simple.

Cheers,
Gergely