[OpenWrt-Devel] "UCI overlay" proposal

David Lang david at lang.hm
Tue Mar 10 14:32:37 EDT 2015

On Tue, 10 Mar 2015, Zefir Kurtisi wrote:

> David,
>
> I do not disagree, and in fact I was not proposing a new configuration format.
>
> What I tried to point out was
> a) maintaining a 'meta-configuration' for some config overlay very quickly becomes
> very challenging and resource consuming

It could be, but if you use the conf.d approach I don't see it being either very
challenging or resource intensive.

> b) if the format has to be changed, in OpenWRT JSON should be the obvious choice
> from a pragmatic point: most of the configuration today already is converted to
> JSON at runtime to be passed to the various ubus services.

If the config format needs to be changed, I wouldn't oppose JSON. I'm just
questioning why it would need to change at all. I don't see how it would help,
either the overlay problem or the changing config problem.

David Lang