[OpenWrt-Devel] "UCI overlay" proposal

Zefir Kurtisi zefir.kurtisi at neratec.com
Fri Mar 6 06:48:44 EST 2015

Hello Matthias,

can't provide qualified feedback to your proposal, but at least want to post my
experience and hope that it is valuable for the discussion.

Our company develops highly specialized WLAN products for decades, for a long time
based on OpenWRT. The niche market we are in has a strict requirement for
long-term availability and compatibility. In the context of configuration, in
addition to the default Web-UI configurability, we must support SNMP and stay
compatible with MIBs we initially released like 10 years ago.

Consequently, for a long time we are following an approach similar to what you are
proposing. In the beginning, the config overlay was a simple mapper between
backend (uci) and frontend (snmp). Later, when config space and complexity grew,
we defined and used a 'meta-config-space' that was generated at runtime from uci
to simplify the mapping to snmp.

Alas, what looked like a reasonable and clever approach, over time turned into
maintenance-hell. We were faced with two moving targets (uci config gradually
changing, MIB extensions) that need continuous synchronization and render the
approach error-prone and resource-demanding. From that experience, I tend to
believe that an overlay- or meta-configuration is only practicable as interim
solution during a transition towards a standardized config space.

If I had a chance to go back and do things better, this would be my approach:

1) define standardized config space
The hardest of all parts - config space must be generic and complete enough to
cover each and every potential setup, while at the same time it has to be
extensible, backwards-compatible, and well defined. Whoever is familiar with
standardization processes knows this will be no picnic. On the good side, with
ubus gradually becoming the core framework for OpenWRT, the format for the new
config to be JSON is more or less given. As for the structure, in [1] an
announcement for a generic network configuration standard in JSON was posted that
might well serve as starting point.
2) implement interim overlay
Once the config space in 1) is standardized, implement an temporary overlay that
provides transparent access to the configuration via legacy uci and new JSON
config spaces. From that point on, new applications / packages must not use uci
any more.
3) gradually move to new config space
Over a defined (and relatively short) transition period, existing packages has to
be converted to use the JSON config. At the end of that period, uci should not be
used any more.

I have developed a few private tools for the overlay-config approach (like
conversion from uci to JSON), which are not suitable for upstreaming (C++,
proprietary dependencies). From there, my estimate for the implementation workload
for the transition (after the config space was standardized) is around 3 man-months.

Good Luck,
Zefir

[1] https://lists.openwrt.org/pipermail/openwrt-devel/2015-January/030422.html