[OpenWrt-Devel] alternative for "pyserial+python-mini"

Alexandru Ardelean ardeleanalex at gmail.com
Wed Jul 22 01:55:57 EDT 2015

It's still turned off.
But it was turned off again, once it was moved to Github.
There was a more recent discussion here:
https://github.com/openwrt/packages/issues/474

[ Quick answer here: yes we can precompile bytecodes at build-time and ship
those instead ]

So, .py  vs  .pyc  vs  .pyo  is a recurring question.

.py - python source file
.pyc - compiled bytecodes (from .py file)
.pyo - compiled optimized bytecodes (not sure yet what optimized means)

Which of these 3 formats should the Python libraries use to be packaged ?
Opinions differ here.

At the time I packaged python, it seemed logical that .py files should be
it; that's how most how distros get Python packaged.
But then, .py files automatically generate .pyc files that fill up RAM or
Flash, so that was disabled [ for the OpenWRT case ].

But now that I re-think about it [for the OpenWRT case] maybe changing to
.pyo would be better, since it would optimize performance (size & speed).
And then the source files could be re-packaged to python-sources [ or
something ] .
One proposal was a bit backwards in logic: i.e. package Python libs as are
now, and package Python bytecodes in additional+installable packages.
My main preference here, is that I wouldn't want to give up the convenience
of having Python source files, which is why I prefer[ed] to sacrifice
performance in the first place.
[ And then, nobody complained yet loud enough to change this ].

So, this python packages to bytecode conversion + python sources packages
would be an interesting idea to do.