[OpenWrt-Devel] Status of new standard ETSI EN 300 328 (ralink)

Michael Heimpold mhei at heimpold.de
Sat Jan 31 06:41:36 EST 2015

Hi wifi gurus :-)

I recently learned that devices for the european market must fulfill the
new ETSI standard EN 300 328 V1.8.1 since 2015-01-01. I also understand
that most wifi chips require a firmware, often this is a binary vendor blob,
which is just uploaded into the chip. Then a hardware dependend wifi linux
driver adopts  to cfg80211 and mac80211 and so on...

So my question is: which parts must be changed to comply with this new
standard. I guess the firmware blob must provide several functions which
are used by drivers?
Next question is: what is the current state of this support in the ralink
driver, I have a rt5380 based device.

I googled a little bit around, but I only found this thread which is for atheros:
http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.linux.drivers.ath9k.devel/13280

So any further information would be welcome.

Thanks, Michael