[OpenWrt-Devel] [RFC] [mvebu] WRT1900AC syscfg as overlay

mark milburn mark.a.milburn at gmail.com
Tue Jan 13 16:18:13 EST 2015

I believe this is the appropriate forum for discussing this.  Let me
know if this is not the case.

I think that employing the syscfg partition as the overlayfs is not
useful for this device, and for at least one case, harmful.

The current setup that allows for a primary and alternate firmware
image to be loaded is useful, it adds insurance if you aren't using
the squashfs failsafe.  However:

1.  If a configuration problem prevents the device from booting, or
renders the device effectively inaccessible, booting to the alternate
image may not allow the device to be recovered.  I think this negates
the utility of having an alternate image.

2.  One cannot test two different configurations effectively using two
different boot images.

Provided it does not affect the ability of a user to flash his or her
firmware back to a manufacturer image, I would suggest that mtdparts
be redefined and syscfg removed.