[OpenWrt-Devel] ddns-scripts 2.0.1-1 breaks freedns.afraid.org?

Catalin Patulea cat at vv.carleton.ca
Tue Jan 13 00:31:51 EST 2015

Hi Christian,

I use ddns-scripts with freedns.afraid.org. Here is the service line for it:

#freedns.afraid.org is weird, you just need an update code, for which
we use the password variable
"freedns.afraid.org"
"http://freedns.afraid.org/dynamic/update.php?[PASSWORD]&address=[IP]"

So I was leaving the "username" option empty and setting password to
the "update code". This worked fine. But since 07d3672d, ddns-scripts
now checks that $password is set and fails like this:

Tue Jan 13 00:17:30 2015 user.warn ddns-scripts[3685]: myddns: Service
section not correctly configured! - TERMINATE

Due to this line I think:
https://github.com/openwrt/packages/blob/master/net/ddns-scripts/files/usr/lib/ddns/dynamic_dns_updater.sh#L161

What do you think? Should the check be relaxed?

I can work around it by setting 'username' to an ignored value.. but
that seems ugly.

Catalin