[OpenWrt-Devel] General questions about the direction of switch drivers

Charlie Smurthwaite charlie at atechmedia.com
Mon Feb 16 15:29:41 EST 2015

I'm writing a driver for a family of 24 port gigabit switches, with a
wide array of interesting hardware features. Creating basic VLAN
membership and tagging functionality under the swconfig framework has
been quite easy, and this framework has been excellent for this.

However, I would like to support a lot more of the functionality of this
hardware, and see other devices with advanced layer2 and layer3
switching supported in the future, so I wanted some opinion on the
direction things are taking.

Specifically I am looking for opinion on whether the swconfig framework
is suitable for more advanced functionality, or whether there was likely
to be a move to any other upstream framework for switch devices,
particularly those with more advanced functionality. The types of
functionality I am currently interested in supporting are:

* VLAN membership an tagging
* Packet and byte counters
* Security settings and filtering rules
* STP
* Layer 3 functionality (hardware IPv4 and IPv6 routing tables)
* Hardware NAT / firewall

Some of this functionality may simply require configuration, where other
functions require the active involvement of the CPU.

Thanks,

Charlie

Charlie Smurthwaite aTech Media

tel. 01202 901 222 (ext. 603) email. charlie at atechmedia.com<mailto:charlie at atechmedia.com> web. atechmedia.com<http://atechmedia.com>

aTech Media Limited is a registered company in England and Wales. Registration Number 5523199. Registered Office: Unit 9 Winchester Place, North Street, Poole, Dorset, BH15 1NX. VAT Registration Number: GB 868 861 560. This e-mail is confidential and for the intended recipient only. If you are not the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this e-mail in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of this e-mail is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender.