[OpenWrt-Devel] Toolchain error on mips64/octeon

Dirk Neukirchen dirkneukirchen at web.de
Thu Feb 5 04:40:54 EST 2015

I was looking at an issue reported by a forum user
https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=55474
and buildbot
http://buildbot.openwrt.org:8010/broken_packages/octeon/openvswitch/compile.txt

some research showed that there is a libtool patch available that should fix this issue:
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/libtool.git/commit/?id=5f7f7d9615bf650cf99d581a33b3e18357f79951
(integrated in libtool 2.4.4)

- I get this patch applied to tools/libtool so that $STAGING_DIR_HOST/share/aclocal/libtool.m4
contains the part
- This does not get applied or used in openvswitch despite the pkg fixup:=libtool there
I fail to find the "-m elf64btsmip" in config.log (the openvswitch/m4/libtool.m4 contains patched version)
I have

I am a bit unsure about the whole autotools/libtool build process (especially with this package)
especially regarding libtool works with that package/regarding the wrapper with "-m" switch.

Anybody can help in solving this issue or fix the toolchain ?

other possibilities what is "wrong":
- OpenWrt might be missing "GNUTARGET" environment variable
- binutils ld might be buggy (" ld uses the natural format of the target")
according to https://sourceware.org/binutils/docs-2.25/ld/Environment.html#Environment

hackish solution ("LDEMULATION" environment variable) works according to thread