[OpenWrt-Devel] Recommendation how to build wireless drivers from the raspberrypi kernel source tree

Derek Werthmuller thewerthfam at gmail.com
Sun Apr 26 08:22:36 EDT 2015

I'm interested in trying to build the rtl8192cu drivers found in the
raspberrypi kernel source tree. These drivers are modified versions of the
realtek provided open source.
https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/tree/rpi-3.18.y/drivers/net/wireless/rtl8192cu
It seems that they have disabled the stock kernel drivers for the rtlwifi
and enabled the realtek open source drivers into rpi kernel.  From what I
read the realtek open source drivers tend to work better in AP mode.

I understand a bit how to modify the Kconfig files to exclude the old
rtlwifi and enable the new rtl8192cu drivers, in the
/drivers/net/wireless/rtl8192cu/ directories.  How ever that is with the
kernel source is already downloaded.  And not sure how to preceed from
there.  How do I configure the module so that make menuconfig finds it and
pulls in the values so its selected to build?

Is there a suggested way for me to test this build out?  Ay web links for
documents that would help me make build changes to test out this different
driver source?   I would suspect that this is common with other people who
are developing drivers run in to a similar issue.

Thanks
    Derek