[OpenWrt-Devel] Missing dependency on host sed?

John Szakmeister john at szakmeister.net
Wed Sep 17 05:38:03 EDT 2014

On Wed, Sep 17, 2014 at 1:40 AM, Jonathan Bennett <jbscience87 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'll throw a couple thoughts out, and then defer to someone that understands
> the openwrt build env better than I do.
> First, you do have sed installed on your host system, right? I don't think
> this is the issue, but best to check the easy things first. Also, a make
> distclean sometimes clears up these problems.

I'm starting from a clean workspace, and copying in the .config,
feeds.conf, and a copy of the dl folder (just to keep OpenWRT from
having to re-download anything).

> Try compiling without a -j flag. I suspect that this is a parallel build
> issue. If you can recreate it without -j, then the rest of this message is a
> moot point.

It's definitely a parallel build issue, but that's the problem I want
to see fixed. :-)

> Now, what I think is happening here is that we have a race between a couple
> of compilation threads, one of which is the sed utility. What happens is
> something that uses sed is trying to compile before sed has finished
> compiling. The build env queues up a bunch of programs to compile, and
> because sed takes quite a while to compile, it chews through that queue and
> hits something that calls sed before sed exists. It would be helpful if we
> could discern exactly which package is failing.

It's actually more interesting then that.  When sed is needed in the
linux-headers prepare step, the staging area for the host isn't even
set up yet.  It looks to me like toolchain/prepare (or something like
it) needs to depend on tools/install.

> That said, I have put a "sleep 500" in my sed makefile, which basically
> means that every other package that is allowed to do so will build and
> install first, and I have been unable to reproduce.

I'm fortunate in that I have one machine I'm consistently able to
reproduce the issue on.

> If it's not cleared up shortly, go ahead and open a ticket on
> dev.openwrt.org

Thanks for the tips.  Hopefully, someone else can chime in and offer
another fix.  Thanks again!

-John