[OpenWrt-Devel] Autoneg problems with ar8216 on kernel 3.14 (related to ticket 17800)

Heiner Kallweit hkallweit1 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 28 14:46:00 EDT 2014

After a little more thinking about it and looking at the code I basically have two questions:

1.
Is it actually needed to exclude certain phy's in ar8xxx_phy_config_aneg?
(At least for AR8327 it doesn't get called with an addr != 0 anyway)
Else we could remove ar8xxx_phy_config_aneg and directly register genphy_config_aneg as
callback for autoneg configuration.

2.
Call sequence with regard to ar8216 is:
ar8216: ar8xxx_phy_probe
phy: phy_attach_direct
phy: phy_init_hw
ar8216: ar8xxx_phy_config_init
ar8216: ar8xxx_phy_config_aneg

ar8216 driver handles AR8327/AR8337 different from the other supported switch types.
ar8xxx_start incl. more detailed configuration is called from ar8xxx_phy_probe already.
For the other switch types it's called from ar8xxx_phy_config_init.

I wonder whether doing detailed configuration in the probe stage might be too early.
phy_init_hw resets the switch anyway later.
Doing the detailed setup in ar8xxx_phy_config_init seems to be more suited however
there might be good reason why it's handled the way it is.

Rgds,
Heiner