[OpenWrt-Devel] Missing 'noexecstack' in uClibc MIPS builds

Andrew McDonnell bugs at andrewmcdonnell.net
Fri Oct 3 20:31:54 EDT 2014

True. Perhaps that makes it a moot issue for BB.
But I dont think it would hurt to be ahead of the curve in this day and age...

I am not the only one  adding this latent protection to MIPS:

https://webrtc-codereview.appspot.com/994006/
https://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/2014-09/msg02430.html  (source of my patch
submission which I emailed later when I finally cracked this)
http://lists.busybox.net/pipermail/uclibc/2014-August/048474.html

The trade-off might be giving people a false sense of protection, I guess. But
that could happen anyway once the fix meanders tghrough gcc upstream. Then
again, who else before me even bothered to scan their router files for this :-)

Of lower priority for OpenWRT mainstream, is a determined user could also
cherry-pick emulated NX protection from PAX.
When they google this problem they will at least find my work. Which was a
great learning exercise regardless. I blogged about it here -->
http://blog.oldcomputerjunk.net/

Anyways, up to you I guess. I am still learning this stuff. Its not like the
"experts" regularly get security stuff right...

cheers,
--Andrew