[OpenWrt-Devel] kernel changes on recompilation?

Nishant Sharma codemarauder at gmail.com
Wed Oct 1 06:13:20 EDT 2014

Hello members,

Although, I am compiling and using custom OpenWRT images since 8 months
now, but I am still confused with this particular behaviour. I am using
it primarily on x86 Alix & APU devices.

Everytime I run a make and kernel gets recompiled, it changes the hex
value appended to the kernel package name which makes a lot of packages
or new modules compiled uninstallable on existing systems through opkg.

What is the best practice for doing these kind of things or is there any
workaround?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Nishant