[OpenWrt-Devel] I'd like to donate a Netgear N150 WNR1000 v3

Rafał Miłecki zajec5 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 27 01:04:24 EST 2014

On 26 November 2014 at 23:41, SGT. Garcia <darwinskernel at gmail.com> wrote:

>> > It sounds like a fun project, but SGT. Garcia <darwinskernel at gmail.com>
>> > volunteered to work on it, and I have already mailed the device to
>> > him. I'm sure SGT. Garcia will contact you for help once he receives
>> > the device. Thanks for your work on OpenWrt!
>>
>> Could you provide us NVRAM dump once you get this device? You have
>> access to "nvram show" command in both: CFE and original firmware I
>> believe.
>
> first question, do i absolutely need a serial console to get an interface
> with CFE? i tried telnetenable from NetGearTelnetEnable and it did work so
> far as establishing connection with no prompt. so i couldn't run any
> command (nvram show) at that point.

Yes. CFE doesn't implement ssh/telnet, so serial console is the way to
talk with it. Plus you need serial console to watch OpenWrt booting
process, so we can what goes wrong.

> then made a cardinal mistake of
> upgrading the firmware and now it refuses to allow telnet connection. i
> might be able to roll back the firmware.

You mean upgrading to the latest Netgear firmware? Well, it doesn't
matter if they disabled telnet server in it. We don't really telnet
access to the Netgear's firmware.

> the default firmware does provide upgrading from it's GUI interface and i'm
> hoping to try the img you suggested in the thread to see if i can get a
> partially working openwrt (mainly telnet/ssh/shell prompt) and take it from
> there.

First provide me NVRAM dump, so I can add support for WNR1000 v3.
Don't try to install OpenWrt before me doing that.

--
Rafał