[OpenWrt-Devel] [RFC] ncurses vs ncursesw

Baptiste Jonglez baptiste at bitsofnetworks.org
Sun Nov 9 17:11:18 EST 2014

On Sun, Nov 09, 2014 at 09:40:37PM +0200, Alexandru Ardelean wrote:
> I'll try to get opinions about this.
>
> Since we're in the middle of packages migration, maybe it's an interesting
> opportunity to try to use ncursesw and drop ncurses.
>
> ncursesw is ncurses + Unicode (UTF8) support
>
> Both libraries built out of the same source base, and they're just 2 build
> variants.
> From what I can see, Midnight Commander may have some problems building
> with libncursesw, but I think those could be resolved.
>
> python + python3 pick up libncursesw if they find it, but they could be
> configured to take libncurses
> no idea about impact on other libs, hence this RFC
>
> in the openwrt/packages folder there are only these libs that reference
> libncurses:
> - deve/gdb
> - utils/util-linux
> - network/utils/iftop
> - network/services/samba36

There are a lot more in the package feed on https://github.com/openwrt/packages

Interestingly, utils/zsh depends both on libncurses and libncursesw.
Also, sound/mocp can use one or the other: "+PACKAGE_libncursesw:libncursesw +!PACKAGE_libncursesw:libncurses"

Here is the list of packages in the main feed depending on libncurses:

- admin/htop
- lang/erlang
- lang/ruby
- libs/liboping