[OpenWrt-Devel] [Patch][BCM63XX][V2][RFC] Select HW_RANDOM_BCM63XX only in the SoCs that support it.

Jonas Gorski jogo at openwrt.org
Sun Jun 29 16:45:17 EDT 2014

On Sun, Jun 29, 2014 at 10:37 PM, José Vázquez <ppvazquezfer at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Ah, I guess your problem is that something in your openwrt config
>> depends on kmod-random-core, which will cause HW_RANDOM to be selected
>> (as m), which makes HW_RANDOM_BCM63XX visible. In that case you need
>> to either add "# CONFIG_HW_RANDOM_BCM63XX is not set" to
>> config/target/generic-3.10 or create a proper kernel module package
>> for HW_RANDOM_BCM63XX.
>>

>> Jonas
>>
> Now understand: something selects CONFIG_HW_RANDON=m and
> automatically, because depends on BCM63XX, CONFIG_HW_RANDOM_BCM63XX
> needs an m too.
> Sorry for the noise.

Not quite.

default config-3.10 has CONFIG_HW_RANDOM=y and CONFIG_HW_RANDOM_BCM63XX=y.

You run make kernel_menuconfig and deselect CONFIG_HW_RANDOM. Because
CONFIG_HW_RANDOM_BCM63XX depends on CONFIG_HW_RANDOM,
CONFIG_HW_RANDOM_BCM63XX is not defined anymore, and your modified
config-3.10 now only contains "# CONFIG_HW_RANDOM is not set".

Now something in the build system selects CONFIG_HW_RANDOM=m, and
suddenly CONFIG_HW_RANDOM_BCM63XX is available again, but config-3.10
does not contain CONFIG_HW_RANDOM_BCM63XX anymore, so the kernel
config system needs to ask what you want as its value.

If you leave CONFIG_HW_RANDOM=y and only disable
CONFIG_HW_RANDOM_BCM63XX, then you will have no issue, because then
your config-3.10 will contain a line "# CONFIG_HW_RANDOM_BCM63XX  is
not set"

Jonas