[OpenWrt-Devel] [Patch][BCM63XX][V2][RFC] Select HW_RANDOM_BCM63XX only in the SoCs that support it.

José Vázquez ppvazquezfer at gmail.com
Fri Jun 27 07:00:42 EDT 2014

> On Wed, Jun 18, 2014 at 5:34 PM, José Vázquez Fernández
> <ppvazquezfer at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Select HW_RANDOM_BCM63XX only in the SoCs that support it.
>>
>> Only BCM6368, BCM6362 and BCM63268 have a hardware random numbers
>> generator, so, if none of these are selected, don't compile it.
>>
>> Tested with BCM6358 and BCM6328 successfully with both 3.10 and 3.14
>> kernels.
>>
>> Signed off by: José Vázquez Fernández <ppvazquezfer at gmail.com>
>
> Sorry, I still don't see the point of this. All this patch does is
> slightly reduce the visibility of HW_RANDOM_BCM63XX. And since this is
> a user selectable symbol, I don't think this makes much sense because
> if you don't want it built, you can just not select it.
>
> Also, COMPILE_TEST should only be added if it actually compiles for
> other arches (or even different mips targets), which it doesn't.
>

> Jonas

The point is that, if HW_RANDOM_BCM63XX is deselected, the kernel
sends an error because HW_RANDOM_BCM63XX depends on BCM63XX. The
patch, as you saw, force compilation of trng only in the SoCs that has
that hardware. If in the kernel are only selected SoCs that don't have
that hardware, the driver is not compiled.
COMPILE_TEST is added if the patch has interest for linux-mips. You
are right: in OpenWRT is useless.
Any advice to improve it?

Regards:

Pepe