[OpenWrt-Devel] CONFIG_DEBUG and CONFIG_USE_SSTRIP

Karl Vogel karl.vogel at gmail.com
Tue Jun 17 08:12:59 EDT 2014

Currently when CONFIG_DEBUG is enabled, stripping is
disabled and the sstrip option becomes unavailable.

Looking at the commit history I noticed ticket #6373 which
introduced some of these changes. Reading the ticket it
seems the intend was to disable stripping when a user
selected CONFIG_DEBUG.

However the combination of debug + stripping is useful to
create a minimal build but still have the option to remote
gdb or examine core dumps, ie where the target has
stripped binaries, but the unstripped binaries are available
on the host/dev system. So I was wondering if it was
intentional to remove the sstrip option (as GNU strip is still
available) to work around bugs or issues with this
combination? or was it an unfortunate side effect of fixing
this ticket?

Karl