[OpenWrt-Devel] [ANN] MicroPython - well-known scripting language, unbloated

Jo-Philipp Wich jow at openwrt.org
Mon Jul 14 16:16:03 EDT 2014

Hi.

> Yes, I heard from other replies, that's good news, hope it will be
> ready for prime time soon.
>
> Still, it would be nice to have good unbloated language for rapid app
> development in constrained environments, like most routers on which
> OpenWRT runs. I made initial proof of concept web microframework for
> MicroPython (https://github.com/pfalcon/picoweb), and a trivial
> webapp can run within 64K heap.

I welcome your effort but that project on github is just a glorified
echo server as it stands now. You can easily do that with Lua too.

I'd be interested in the performance once you implemented a proper
template engine/parser, a proper gettext like translation system,
wrapper libraries for POSIX functions, bindings to libuci and ubus,
plugin mechanisms and all the other little bits that make up the current
LuCI release.

Don't get me wrong, but years ago when LuCI was started it was also
lean, fast and tiny. I somehow doubt that a smaller python interpreter
is going to solve the inherent bloat issues.

a) You either start using python libraries which aren't exactly tiny by
   nature either and highly interdependant

b) You start writing your own library ecosystem at which point you're in
   the same obscureness niche as Lua

Also given the fact that Python 2.x vs. 3.x already fragmented the
python landscape I'm not sure if introducing yet another not fully
compatible spin of it is going to make anything better in the long run.

~ Jow