[OpenWrt-Devel] Help with SysupgradeNAND

Tim Harvey tharvey at gateworks.com
Wed Jul 9 05:26:23 EDT 2014

On Wed, Jul 9, 2014 at 12:48 AM, John Crispin <john at phrozen.org> wrote:

> On 09/07/2014 09:14, Andre Valentin wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> I also noticed after upgrading that routers with jffs2 in ubi
>> (rootfs_data) are not supported anymore. The jffs2 is not mounted
>> after an upgrade, resulting in loss of configuration. I had to
>> clear rootfs_data to be able to mount it again as ubifs. That's
>> okay if you know it!
>>

> i think using squash+ubifs is a better option as we dont need to use
> the gluebi layer anymore. this makes the whole setup a lot nice i
> think. that is why jffs2 support for nand is gone. however i am open
> to hear use cases for why jffs2 support should be added for nand.

One of the reasons why I didn't even consider jffs2 for IMX6 is that
the IMX6 NAND controller with hardware ECC support uses the entire OOB
area which was needed by jffs2. Their might be support in jffs2 now
for not using OOB data but ubi/ubifs does seem to be the popular
choice these days for NAND based filesystems.

Tim