[OpenWrt-Devel] Introducing "fastpath" - Kernel module for speeding up IP forwarding

Hauke Mehrtens hauke at hauke-m.de
Mon Dec 22 12:01:50 EST 2014

On 12/22/2014 05:43 PM, Ram Marzin wrote:
>> Did I read it right - it relies on hw (to offload the cpu) but is hw independent?
>> Does it mean you support Octeon or Realtek fastpath hw too?
>
> No, it does not rely on hardware, it is a pure SW solution.
>
> - Ram

Would it be possible to add some hardware support to it? Many network
SoCs do have some hardware network engine which supports NAT and some
similar easy stuff in hardware. This would be a second step after the
normal fastpath stuff would be integrated in OpenWrt and working. It
would be very helpful to have some generic layer to control some
hardware network support engine.

Hauke