[OpenWrt-Devel] Introducing "fastpath" - Kernel module for speeding up IP forwarding

Felix Fietkau nbd at openwrt.org
Mon Dec 22 09:20:12 EST 2014

On 2014-12-22 15:06, Tomer Eliyahu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We are software developers, part of Marvell's cellular platform
> infrastructure team.
>
> Our team has been working on a project named "fastpath" for speeding
> up IP forwarding in embedded systems.
> The initial version (fastpath v1) has already been successfully
> deployed in our latest pxa1801 (cellular modem) based products.
>
> We are in the final stages of fastpath v2 development, which is
> completely hardware independent and requires minimal changes in the
> generic networking code (the project consists of a kernel module and a
> single kernel patch); despite being hardware independent, fastpath v2
> already achieved the same level of performance (as fastpath v1) and
> even increased stability.
Sounds good.

> Our development platform is running openwrt Barrier Breaker (r43694),
> so naturally we chose to suggest this to the openwrt development
> community first.
Have you considered proposing it for inclusing in Linux upstream as well?
By the way, we're not accepting features into the Barrier Breaker branch
that haven't already been implemented in trunk.
I would suggest doing development on trunk first, and backporting for
your own use later. While it may be a bit more effort initially, in the
long run this will make it a lot easier for you to keep up to date with
the changes that we're making in OpenWrt while you're developing
features for your products.

> You can find a brief description of our fastpath solution below.
>
> We are anxious to hear your thoughts/comments and will gladly share the code.
Please do. Having done some network stack performance work myself, I'm
looking forward to reviewing your implementation.

- Felix