[OpenWrt-Devel] 3.18 kernel timing? (Was Re: Moving to 3.17.x kernel?)

Hauke Mehrtens hauke at hauke-m.de
Sat Dec 20 14:19:32 EST 2014

On 12/19/2014 03:45 PM, Marc Nicholas wrote:
> So let me turn my question around: given there seems to be some work on
> the 3.18 kernel, is there a timeline for this to go into the development
> trunk? :)
>
> Thx.
>
> -m
>
> --
> Marc Nicholas
> CTO, Wimoto Technologies Inc.
> Unit 2, 300 Don Park Road, Markham, Ontario L3R 3A1 CANADA
> +1.416.414.6272
>
> On December 19, 2014 at 7:27:14 AM, Marc Nicholas (marc at wimoto.com
> <mailto:marc at wimoto.com>) wrote:
>
>> Thanks, Etienne!
>>
>> -m
>>
>> --
>> Marc Nicholas
>> CTO, Wimoto Technologies Inc.
>> Unit 2, 300 Don Park Road, Markham, Ontario L3R 3A1 CANADA
>> +1.416.414.6272
>>
>> On December 19, 2014 at 6:54:59 AM, Etienne Champetier
>> (champetier.etienne at gmail.com <mailto:champetier.etienne at gmail.com>)
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi

>>> <mailto:marc at wimoto.com>>:
>>>
>>>     Hi,
>>>
>>>     I think I might inherently know this is might be more trouble
>>>     than it’s worth, but I have a piece of code that requires a 3.17
>>>     kernel and the kernel feature in question hasn’t been back-ported
>>>     yet (CONFIG_BT_6LOWPAN).
>>>
>>>     I’m reasonably comfortable with using the development trunks, but
>>>     was wondering if anyone had any feedback on just how much effort
>>>     I’d be looking at rev’ing from the current 3.14.x to 3.17
>>>     kernels? And maybe how to go about this?
>>>
>>>     I guess one of the major hurdles is dependencies and things
>>>     beyond the kernel breaking as I go?
>>>
>>>     Any feedback appreciated :)
>>>
>>>     -m
>>>

>>> I don't know how to use it, but devs are already working on 3.18
>>> https://dev.openwrt.org/browser/trunk/target/linux/generic?order=name

The next OpenWrt release will be based on kernel 3.14 so I would suggest
you also use kernel 3.14.

Instead of taking the bluetooth stuff directly from the kernel you could
also take it from backports. It is in package/kernel/mac80211/ This way
you can use an old kernel 3.14 and use the most recent bluetooth stack.
To do this you would have to move the bluetooth stuff from
package/kernel/linux/modules/netdevices.mk to
package/kernel/mac80211/Makefile.

What are you planing to do? I bought some bluetooth dongles some time
ago to try out a 6lowpan network over bluetooth with OpenWrt, but I
haven't started.

Hauke