[OpenWrt-Devel] Current state of extroot, how to use it, what about ubi(fs)

Rafał Miłecki zajec5 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 16 13:35:34 EST 2014

On 16 December 2014 at 16:06, Gergely Kiss <mail.gery at gmail.com> wrote:
> So, is this simply about mounting an additional UBIFS partition at boot time?
>
> If so, I believe the best solution would be to extend the
> functionality of fstab with a simple (shell) script, as suggested in
> the fstab wiki:
>
> "BTRFS, JFS, *UBI* [...] are not supported in /etc/config/fstab. Use
> manual scripting."
>
> Would that be possible?

I could implement that, but is it going to help? This "block extroot"
is really confusing for me.

Does it really look for entries in /etc/config/fstab? Or does it
hardcode to use "rootfs" / "rootfs_data" partitions? Could you explain
what's the point of all these
find_block_mtd("rootfs", fs, sizeof(fs));
find_block_ubi_RO(libubi, "rootfs", fs, sizeof(fs));
find_block_mtd("rootfs_data", fs_data, sizeof(fs_data));
find_block_ubi(libubi, "rootfs_data", fs_data, sizeof(fs_data));
in the main_extroot?

Also, in my case there is "rootfs_data" MTD partition. I could create
UBI volume "rootfs_data" on NAND flash, but "block extroot" will still
pick the MTD partition.