[OpenWrt-Devel] nftables development and support in openwrt

Tomer Eliyahu tomereliyahu1 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 14 10:13:10 EST 2014

Hi,

My name is Tomer and I'm a software engineer specializing in embedded linux
kernel networking.

I am currently working on a kernel module which offloads traffic from the
Networking stack.
This is part of a project which optimizes IP forwarding for low end routers
that have weak CPU and low on memory.

My next phase in development is to add iptables rules awareness in my
module, but I have learned that it is not an easy task using the x_tables
framework - nftables provides all I need for dynamic rules support.

I saw that nftables and libnftables are not yet supported in my openwrt
codebase (I am working with attitude adjustment 14.07) - but saw that
recently some nftables related patches were added to the master branch by
you.

Could you please share the current status of nftables support in openwrt?

Regardless, I will be happy to participate with the development and testing
of nftables if needed, just let me know if I can help,

Best Regards,

Tomer