[OpenWrt-Devel] ar934x+ar8327v4

David Hutchison dhutchison at bluemesh.net
Fri Dec 5 00:13:52 EST 2014

Hi,

I ran into an issue with the Mikrotik Routerboard 951G's switch chip.
The new batch that we received use an updated ar8327 switch chip. The
switch chip would not function properly so I decided to load trunk and
utilize your patches.

dmesg shows the following:

switch0: Atheros AR8327 rev. 4 switch registered on ag71xx-mdio.0
libphy: ag71xx_mdio: probed
eth0: Atheros AG71xx at 0xb9000000, irq 4, mode:RGMII
ag71xx ag71xx.0 eth0: connected to PHY at ag71xx-mdio.0:00
[uid=004dd034, driver=Atheros AR8216/AR8236/AR8316]

It appears the updated ar8216.c with your changes have successfully
initialized the chip. In fact I can even use "swconfig dev switch0" to
create vlans etc.

If I create a port vlan ( eg. put ports 1 - 2 in vlan 1 ). I can plug
ethernet cables into each port and push data from port 1 to port 2
etc. It appears the switch driver is working correctly.

What is broken is the interface handle "eth0". It exposes eth0 and
ties it to the switch correctly ( as you can see from the above dmesg
output ). I then assign an IP address to eth0, however when I try to
ping a device connected to the switch. I get no response. There is no
arp traffic either. It's like data from the "eth0" handle doesn't know
how to route through the switch.

It appears like the switch hardware is working ( since port 1 can
communicate to port 2 ). However when "eth0" attempts to communicate
to a device on port 1, it doesn't work. The device on port 1 cannot
communicate with the "eth0" interface either.

I think your patches are specifically for the switch only. If that's
the case, then they are working. However, with your knowledge of
ar8327 could you point me into the direction of fixing the "eth0"
interface communicating to the ar8327 switch properly? Is there
something in ag71xx that I should be looking at? Could the ar8327
switch not be initializing properly? The probe is definitely finding
*AR8327* so that seems to be OK. I am guessing this is something
specific with the ar924x CPU + ar8327 switch chip. I'm open to any
suggestions :-)

-- Davey