[OpenWrt-Devel] Firmware without SquashFS (initramfs + overlay)

Stephen Parry sgparry at mainscreen.com
Sat Aug 23 16:30:20 EDT 2014

The thing that makes my blood boil is this - there are plenty of use
cases where initramfs is a must:
- ELF boot from external media
- KEXEC to external media
- TFTP boot
None of these currently work in BB whereas they used to. And you cannot
easily add the scripts to support them because all the 'hookability' is
outside of process id 1. This means when you try switch_root it blows up
in your face. If you try pivot_root it fails cause you can't pivot_root
ramfs. I have raised a bug - but no response yet. I have also submitted
a small patch which was bounced?

P.S. Sorry for first post without subject - noob error.