[OpenWrt-Devel] network rules don't work on wireless interfaces

Philipp Borgers borgers at mi.fu-berlin.de
Sun Aug 17 08:51:08 EDT 2014

Hi,

if I create a rule such as:

config rule
  option in 'wireless0'
  option action 'unreachable'

and have a wireless0 network configured in network and wireless config, the rule
does not show up after a network restart (/etc/init.d/network restart). E.g. ip
rule does not list the rule. If a just reload the network /etc/init.d/network
reload) the rule shows up.

Tested on:

OPENWRT_SRC=git://git.openwrt.org/14.07/openwrt.git
OPENWRT_COMMIT=e77adae70c09298b871d074b35142d4845a0a7ca

I tried my best to understand the problem (netifd code, loglevel increase, etc.)
but I'm to stupid right now :/ Maybe someone can point me in the right
direction?

This is a serious problem for our vpn setup in the mesh network (freifunk
berlin). As far as I can tell this problem is quite old and not only a problem
of the rc3.

Best Regards
Philipp