[OpenWrt-Devel] Lots of missing packages!

Steven Barth cyrus at openwrt.org
Wed Aug 13 04:13:31 EDT 2014

Hi Valent,

we decided to reorganize the packages feed in June, since lots of the
packages in there were unmaintained and we had lot's of patches we
couldn't review. The new feed resides on github which makes contributing
more straigt-forward. See https://github.com/openwrt/packages.

Now the problem with packages like python or php in "oldpackages" is
that they build a version which have known security issues, so providing
binaries for them without notice is a bit dubious. Note: we didn't
delete any package-definitions we just stopped building binaries. Once
someone takes over maintainership for them and keeps them updated we
will gladly welcome them in our new packages feed and start building
binariers for them again.

The current status of "oldpackages" is this:
If you are using trunk and want to use the possibly outdated packages
you have to enable the oldpackages feed and build them manually.
If you are using barrier breaker in the final version we will still
build these outdated packages in binary form but won't enable the
package repository in opkg.conf by default, so you have to manually
opt-in to use these packages. Some packages there might be broken due to
changes in the SDK but this will hopefully get addressed before the
final release. The next release after barrier breaker will not include
any unmaintained packages at all not even as opt-in.

So if you want to see some of the old packages reappearing in trunk and
future releases please adopt them and become a maintainer or convince
someone else to do it. See
https://github.com/openwrt/packages/blob/master/CONTRIBUTING.md

Regards,

Steven