[OpenWrt-Devel] [RFC] netifd: enable force_link by default for proto=static

Felix Fietkau nbd at openwrt.org
Fri Aug 1 09:56:12 EDT 2014

On 2014-08-01 15:37, Hans Dedecker wrote:
> Since netifd commit 75e73ab force_link is enabled by default for
> proto static in the netifd code.
> This causes the netifd ubus interface up event to be send based only
> on the interface enabled state (and thus faster) while if linksensing is
> enabled the interface ubus event up is send when the interface is both
> enabled and the link has been sense d.
> This timing change has some impact; eg in an application I'm
> fetching the bridge port info based on the interface ubus up event.
> After the force_link change for proto static all bridge port info is
> not yet available as netifd is still setting up the bridge while the
> ubus interface up event is already raised.
> Before this was not the case as the ubus interface up event was
> raised when the bridge was enabled (all bridge ports configured) and link has
> been sensed.
> I was wondering why the behavior was hardcoded changed in netifd for
> proto static although the same behavior could be achieved by setting the
> uci parameter force_link to 1.
Not having a static IP address added automatically when an interface is
available was causing regular user confusion and bogus bug reports.
I assumed that unlike dhcp, the static proto didn't really need dynamic
enabling/disabling based on the link status.
What bridge port info is your application fetching, and why is it not
available yet when the event is sent?

- Felix