[VOTE] Switch 'master' to 'main' branch for repositories

Marcel Telka marcel at telka.sk
Mon Feb 27 07:40:50 PST 2023

On Mon, Feb 27, 2023 at 06:59:57AM -0800, David Lang wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Feb 2023, Rafał Miłecki wrote:
>
> > On 27.02.2023 14:17, Daniel Golle wrote:
> > > So while this change certainly has a political component, it is also
> > > just about matching what everybody else is doing by now. And as with
> > > every default value, there should be a sound argument if you'd like to
> > > divert from that default.
> >
> > So all this change proposal is some political stuff? What's political
> > about git branch name?! I don't like idea of OpenWrt project startng
> > some political games.
> >
> > What exactly is that about? Anyone cares to explain clearly?
>
> the logic is that the term 'master' implies a 'slave' and slavery is evil
> and all references to it must be purged from use.

Yes, slavery is evil, but that does not imply that all references to it
must be purged from use.  If that's the case then you should start with
purging https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavery.  Crazy idea?  Yes!

Yes, slavery is evil, but it was (and somewhere maybe still is) a part
of history of mankind.  By purging all references to it you won't be
better, and you won't change history of mankind.  Maybe you'll feel
better for a while, but definitely you'll start to forget about the
history.  And this is a first step to see the history to repeat.

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it"
-- George Santayana

The funny thing is that Rafał is very likely Slav[1].  I'm Slav[2] too.
There is a theory that English 'slave' comes from Slav[3], but we
(almost all Slavs) are okay that English language uses words 'slave' and
'slavery' that probably evolved from word describing our roots, history
and nations.

What will you do if somebody will start to ask to remove words 'slave'
and 'slavery' from all English texts because some Slav snowflake will
feel some discomfort by identifying itself as Slav = slave -> slavery?

Stupid? Yes!

[1] http://www.zajec.net/
[2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavs
[3] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavs_(ethnonym)