Automatic LAN Subnet Reassignment PLUS mDNS name

Rich Brown richb.hanover at gmail.com
Mon Feb 27 05:43:28 PST 2023

Thank you Imre for bringing this up again. I have also notified the author of that RFC (Peter Sherman, @psherman on the forums) that this discussion is going on so he can offer opinions. You can read the RFC at: https://forum.openwrt.org/t/rfc-automatic-lan-subnet-reassignment-upon-conflict-with-wan/120938

I strongly support this automatic LAN subnet assignment, primarily as an aid for newcomers. I wrote an early version of "Getting started with OpenWrt", and a horrendous amount of text goes toward setting up the proper LAN subnet.

With these TWO changes - Automatic LAN assignment PLUS mDNS name - the instructions become:

1. Install OpenWrt on the router using the manufacturers instructions, and the image you retrieve from the Firmware Selector
2. Connect the WAN port to your ISP's gear
3. Connect your laptop to one of the LAN ports with Ethernet
4. Point your browser to "openwrt.lan"

The advantages (for newcomers, and for documentation writers) seem clear to me. I ask the collective wisdom of this group: what are the disadvantages? Many thanks.

Rich