Release goals for 22.XX

Rich Brown richb.hanover at gmail.com
Thu Sep 30 17:21:25 PDT 2021

(I'm cc'ing both openwrt-devel and openwrt-adm since both will be involved in the decision)

> On Sep 29, 2021, at 4:28 PM, Hauke Mehrtens <hauke at hauke-m.de> wrote:
>
> The OpenWrt 21.02 release is done and we should plan the next release.
> We already talked about this in the last meeting, see https://openwrt.org/meetings/20210920
>
> To monitor the current state I created this wiki page based on the wiki page from the previous release:
> https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-developer/releases/goals/22.xx

Thanks for creating this page. If I understand it correctly, we are talking about:

1. All targets to kernel 5.10 (I think we said we'd drop support for those that cannot move to 5.10)
2. Import/backport mac80211 from the 5.15 kernel
3. GCC 11.2 & musl 1.2.x (done)
4. Switch to firewall4 by default
5. Switch lantiq target to DSA (done)
6. (Minor? No?) changes to LuCI
7. Nothing else

Questions:

- Is this a correct summary of what we're talking about for the next release?

- Could we accomplish all this by year-end? Who would be over-burdened by choosing that target date?

- If this is feasible, we could branch in January, with a generous time for several RC's, with a plan to ship 22.03 in March.

- What (if anything) would be left out if we "only did this"?

Thanks!