Thoughts for OpenWrt meeting September 21st at 19:00 CET (17:00 UTC)

Rich Brown richb.hanover at gmail.com
Mon Sep 20 18:37:12 PDT 2021

Folks,

I look forward to the discussion tomorrow. Some thoughts:

1) 21.02 release retrospective (What went good, what should we do better next time) (Hauke)

The Good: It seems stable; I don't think DSA caused many "21.02 broke my router" problems that I feared; Lots of other good features

The "Do better next time": I believe DSA delayed the release by six or more months. I do *not* mean to place blame on anyone - we all made the decision to forge ahead. But I would ask all of us to reflect on the state of the code, and the amount of work that was actually required to ship and document 21.02. My recommendation: Next time we have to make a major architectural change, let's be clear-eyed about how it will affect the ship date.

2) Getting more people in / Getting inactive people out (reaching quorum becomes harder and harder)

I am more interested in the former than the latter. How can we encourage people to join? How can we simplify the process of accepting new members?

(I will also state that the current OpenWrt rules state: Committers being unreachable for three months in a row shall get their commit and voting rights revoked in order to retain the ability to do majority votes among the remaining active committers." We now have a record of who has voted in five successive matters over the last year at: https://openwrt.org/voting/start . Shall we start sending notes to non-voters asking if they wish to remain active? Who should do this?)

3) Unstable wifi - I will try to contact some colleagues before tomorrow's meeting who may be able to provide additional info on this

4) I am generally supportive of the other items, where I have no particular insight

See you tomorrow!