Add contrib/ folder to downloads.openwrt.org

Paul Spooren mail at aparcar.org
Fri Mar 19 21:22:32 GMT 2021

Hi all,

due to the recent discussion of SELinux enabled ImageBuilders created
by buildbots, I'd like to suggest a slightly different approach:

We could offer a contrib/ folder on downloads.openwrt.org (d.o.o) which
contains such builds, created independently from the buildbots.

The folder is not meant to contain community builds for single devices
(like frequently found in forums) nor special package selections (use
e.g. Chef[1] for that). Only full builds should be provided to test
possible feautres of the future: GCC10, SELinux, Full Language Support
(NLS), more?

I've been playing around with GitLab, GitHub and SourceHut CIs and can
setup something.

As a goal, more people can test things which are normally hidden behind
the barrier of self compiling. Additionally developers have a better
coverage of default disabled features.

These builds cost computer power, so they should happen at best effort
and not with the 24h demand we have for snapshots and packages.

Please share your thoughts and objections.

Best,
Paul

[1]: https://chef.libremesh.org/