Ongoing costs and donation campaign at same time as 21.02 release?

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Tue Jun 1 09:11:16 PDT 2021

On Sat, 2021-05-22 at 12:09 +0200, Baptiste Jonglez wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As discussed already in the past, several parts of the infra are paid for
> privately by project members.  This can be a burden and I think the
> project would be better off if it could support itself financially.
>
> As a first step, we should have a clear view of the ongoing costs.  I just
> updated this page, can everybody check if something is missing or if costs
> are wrong?
>
> https://openwrt.org/infrastructure#hosting_infrastructure_and_costs
>
> I separated "expected cost" = "what we would pay on the market price" from
> "actual cost" = "what we actually pay" which is sometimes 0.
>

> As a next step, we can check if the project would be sustainable at the
> current rate of donations if everything was paid for using SFC-held funds.

I shifted the mailing lists to 'Internally-managed services', and then
amended the bit below about "all services that are managed internally
are run on services devoted to the OpenWrt project".

I don't consider the mailing lists to actually *cost* anything. I was
running mailman lists for a bunch of open source projects long before
we moved the OpenWrt lists there.